The Surgery prides itself in maintaining professional standards. For certain intimate examinations during consultations an impartial observer (a “Chaperone”) will be required. This is usually a nurse or a health care assistant.
The chaperone will:
- be sensitive and respect the patient’s dignity and confidentiality
- reassure the patient if they show signs of distress or discomfort
- be familiar with the procedures involved in a routine intimate examination
- stay for the whole examination and be able to see what the doctor is doing, if practical
- be prepared to raise concerns if they are concerned about the doctor’s behaviour or actions.